We started Logan on solids a few weeks ago right when he turned four months. Because of his reflux his doctor recommended we jump right into that. Logan caught on really fast. It took him a week to be really excited about eating it. He hates the rice cereal. We have tried everything--adding apple juice, breastmilk, thinning it, etc.-but nothing seems to make it better. Once I could tell he was catching on to how to eat I decided to introduce him to some peaches. Logan LOVES peaches. We tried mixing his rice cereal with peaches but he wants nothing to do with that. If you put rice cereal in his mouth he makes a funny gagging face, spits it out and then cries. If you then give him a spoon full of peaches, he eats it and makes "yum" sounds. We are going to try Oatmeal next to see if he likes that better. Is it normal for babies to not like rice cereal? What else can we do to get him to like it?
Like every baby, Logan gets quite messy while eating. He gets so excited about his peaches he kicks his legs up and down. He can eat a lot too. He will eat 2 ounces of cereal and 4 ounces or peaches at night time. We have also introduced him to sweet potoates which he seems to be enjoying. Has anyone out there made their own baby food? I just started buying the jars, not really thinking much about it. But then I got to thinking that I could probably make most of this food for cheaper than you can buy it in the indiviual jars. I have been looking online for a small baby food processor and for some recipes but wanted some feedbacks from experienced moms. Let me know what you have done.
Logan is starting to get some more hair on the top of his head. It is very blonde so you can only see it in certain lights. Logan's favorite things right now are the remote control, the ceiling fan and his dinosaur. I will put him in the middle of our bed in the morning when I am getting ready and he will just stare at the fan. If we are sitting on the couch and he catches a glimpse of the remote he will just stop and stare at that as well. I think he must have gotten this from his dad.
Logan has now been put on Prevacid instead of Zantac for his reflux. It seems to be doing a better job of controlling the reflux, however, he still spits up all the time. Somtimes I think we have a fountain baby. It is ok if he spits up as long as it isn't bothering him so we hope this Prevacid will continue to keep him happy. He hates the taste of the Prevacid. He used to tolerate the Zantac but he won't even swallow when you put the Prevacid in his mouth. Thus we have had to adapt our techniques for getting it down.Ben and I tried to go to Farmington Pond on Sunday along with everyone else in Farmington. It was really crowded. We like to take Cayman up there so he can play in the pond. However, there were lots of people trying to fish so Cayman didn't quite get the time in the water he wanted. We dressed Logan is his baseball outfit his Aut Clyda gave him because it had a hat and we thought that would be good. This is a picture of his hat all twisted backwards on his head so that he looks cool yo!!
The past few weeks Logan has fallen into a pretty reliable schedule. He gets up at 6-6:30 each morning, we feed him his solids at 7:30 then give him a bath and then he goes back to sleep. Then we eat again around 11, play for awhile and then eat again at 3. He is then awake until he eats his solids at 6 and then nurses at 7 and finally 9. He then goes straight to bed. We have been so lucky to be able to get some "normal" sleep. I know this will probably change and am just going to enjoy it while I can. Nevertheless, I feel like we more organized and happy with this schedule which is great!!!





8 comments:
Isn't it the best when they finally get into a routine? Heaven! He is so cute and you will be so glad that you wrote all of these things down - I go back to my blog sometimes to remember when exactly Anna had her firsts. It's horrible I can't even remember - I wonder what it will be like for future kids.
As for the eating. Anna HATES rice cereal. She was the same way - I tried it with all of your mentioned liquids and nothing. She would eat any fruit or veggie I gave her - so I thought I would put a little rice in it and to no avail she could taste it and she would gag and puke. The only thing I have been able to put it in is yogurt - she would eat yogurt for every meal if I let her. But Logan is a little young for that, so I don't know what to tell you.
To continue on the subject of my picky daughter. I tried making my own baby food, but I could never get it smooth enough for her. If something is grainy (like rice cereal or thick applesauce) she will also gag and puke. But I have a sis-in-law who does it and she loves it. Aren't kids the greatest?! Good luck :)
I am jealous of the routine--baby M sort of has one, but I wish it was more solid. I can't wait to start feeding him solids--I am definitely going to make my own. What to Expect the First Year has some good recipes in it and I also found this website http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/. It has been really informative.
Dang...sorry about the rice cereal. I don't know what to tell you! Maggie ate it just fine after we put some apple juice in it a few times. I would probably just suggest doing some oatmeal and perhaps the oatmeal with mixed fruit. Maggie loves the oatmeal with mixed fruit.
I would love to make my own food...but it seems overwhelming. LOL. If you figure it out, please share with me your knowledge so I can start making it too. I will admit that I'm going to play the lazy one and let someone else do all the research for me....Please? :)
I'm thinking some things would be a lot harder than others. I buy the huge jar of unsweetened applesauce for like $1.60, which I think is even cheaper than making your own would be. I would like to do my own bananas and maybe sweet potatoes because Maggie loves those...oh, and pears. I guess my only concern is getting it pureed enough, because like Annabelle, Maggie has a pretty effective gag reflex and when I have tried to feed her Cheerios, she often ends up throwing up half her lunch with the Cheerio. I'm hoping she grows out of this soon...? I think that is the overall theme of parenthood though...what sounds good in theory isn't necessarily what will work in actuality (like your rice cereal dilemmas). Do let me know what you find out. Baby food can be very expensive for sure!
I made my own baby food for several months (until he started getting into the more solid things then he just ate with us). It is really easy, just set aside a day to steam/cook everything, puree, then spoon it into ice cube trays and freeze it. Pop out the ice cubes into labeled freezer baggies. On Sunday I would take the food he would eat for the week and put each meal in a container in the fridge. Each ice cube is one serving. Fruits and vegies can store in the freezer for 6 months and meats for 3. It isn't near as bad as I thought it would be!
neither of my kids liked rice cereal so i just use the oatmeal and I mix it with different fruits. i'm glad he's doing better with the prevacid, that's what my daughter was on and she still spit up a lot but i could tell her tummy wasn't hurting and it wasn't hurting when she spit up.
I bought a baby food maker at kitchen kneeds but i haven't used it a whole lot because I couldn't get it smooth enough so my girls would gag. also, i didn't plan enough ahead to have it ready so it was easier for me to buy the jars (i'm lazy)
I do buy the unsweetened applesause in the jar (alot cheaper), real bananas and I just mash them up and also I just buy canned fruit and mash it up sometimes. i guess the only jars I buy are the veggies. good luck. sorry of this doesn't make sense
both of my kids hated rice cereal. reese hated everything but tate seemed to like the oatmeal with bananas or oatmeal with mixed fruit. he didn't like plain oatmeal. i am glad to read your comments that say everyone else's kids didn't like the cereal. i thought it was just my kids. good luck
Lincoln liked rice cereal so sorry I'm no help with that. But like Carlee's little one, he also liked oatmeal mixed with fruit.
I used jared baby food and also made my own. I didn't ever freeze it, I'd usually make it right before he ate it. That seemed to work well for me. But I may do things differently this time around. We'll see.
Anyway, I used a baby food processor and a baby food mill. They both worked well and lots of times I'd just add water until the food was smooth enough. Some brands of unsweetened applesauce can be a bit thick or chunky for young babies so I would just peel an apple and puree it in the food processor. I probably had to add water but I can't remember. I didn't really do anything fancy. Just see what foods he likes. When he's older, but not old enough to chew things up real well you could start puree-ing (haha Is that a word?) whatever you and Ben eat. Good luck! Logan is a cutie. :)
Your little boy is so cute. He was born close to when my son was. I am Benji's cousin, just so you don't think I am a stalker.
Post a Comment