This year we went on the final day of competition so the herding was even more challenging. They had to bring two herds of sheep down the hill and then combind them. It really is amazing to watch these dogs work.
Their owners send them up a hill where they find a herd of sheep and slowly bring them down the mountain through different gates. Then they have to split the sheep and seperate 5 sheep with red collars from the rest of the herd of like 16. Once they have seperated them they have to put them in a pen. It truely is a skill and I could sit there all day and watch it. I am truely amazed at how behaved their dogs are. Once the dog has gotten the sheep in the pen the owner sounds a whistle and calls them off of the sheep. Then another border collie comes running and takes over the sheep and puts them into a holding pen. If you have ever owned a border collie or herding dog you know that they have lots of energy and to simply sound a whistle to tell them to stop herding and come with you is just amazing.
You can actually become a member of the Stock Dog Assocation and they have events where you can let your dog attempt to herd sheep. I think this might be something I have to look in to cause I think Cayman would love it.
Logan loved walking around up there. I think the dogs were too far away for him to see. Towards the end they handed out free popsicles of which Logan was persistent he was going to try. We let him have some and he was addicted. It seems like lately he will eat anything. 
In addition to the sheep herding they also had Splash Dogs this year. This is a sport where you see how far your dog will jump off a platform into the water after a toy. You can be any breed of dog to compete in this and it was fun to watch. Ben got some good action shots of them.
Then this is my boy today.
He was come down with conjuntivitis or pink eye. Not fun. I don't even think this picture does justice to how horrible his eyes look. His eyes are so goopy it is crazy. We had to go get him from day care and have to keep him out for at least 48 hours while he is on some medications for it. Overall he still seems pretty happy but as his eyes keep getting worse I can tell they are bothering him and he doesn't feel good. I sure hope that this too will pass and that no one in our family will get it.





8 comments:
i've had a few friends go to this and said it was pretty cool. i love the area up there at soldiers hollow...(we went to daniels summit for our honeymoon...i know we go far right?)
That show looked really interesting! My girls had pink eye last month and it SUCKED!!! I had to force 2 kids eye drops 4 times a day and let me tell you, be grateful you are wrestling Logan and not a 3 year old drama queen!:)
By the way, Logan is so adorable! We need to get together with you guys!
Wow the sheep dog thing looks sweet!! That would be so much fun to go to. Sorry Logan has pink eye -I get it far too frequently and can commiserate. Good luck with the goop.
Oh how sad! Poor Logan! I hope he gets better soon. Having sick kids sucks. Period.
Poor little guy! Bennett came down with an ear infection this week. First one ever. I hate when they are sick and they can't tell you what is wrong. Hopefully Logan starts to feel better soon.
The sheep dog trials thing sounds cool. My in laws last year went and watched just for fun. No fun - Logan's eye. I am sorry for the both of you. Hopefully things have started looking better..literally for him ;) He still manages to look cute even with the goopy eye though.
Logan is such a cute little boy! The sheep dogs are awesome by the way- I love watching dogs do cool stuff like that. We always watch the dog shows on tv too. Fun stuff. Poor Logan and his eyes...so sad. It makes you so sad to see little ones sick huh?
How are you guys doing? Is Logan any better? Chadd and I were really impressed with both the Britax and Recaro and had a hard time choosing between the two. Ultimately we went with the Recaro signo because it has a better side-impact safety rating than any of the Britax ones, but they were both great. I don't think you can go wrong with either. We bought ours online and it was about $220 which was fantastic--in the stores it was like a lot more. Anyway, We mostly get M's clothes at The Children's Place...isn't it hard to find cute boy clothes...it drives me nuts.
Post a Comment