Monday, September 28, 2009

The Accident

When my dad took his hand away this is what we saw....
These pictures still make me sad. My wonderful sister's first thought was to give him some motrin to help him deal with the pain. We then took a look at the wounds and debated what we should do. We didn't have any cell phone reception up at our campground and it was about a 40 minute drive down the canyon to get reception. We decided that the wounds looked pretty deep and probably dirty so we decided we should take him down the canyon to the insta care. We tried to put some ice on his head as he fell asleep driving down the caynon. When we arrived at the insta care Logan said 'doctor.' They took us back to the room where they decided pretty quickly that they needed to stitch him up. They brought in a portable DVD player and let him watch "Nemo" while they put some numming stuff on his head. I sat with him in the patient chair and we cuddled. He was quite excited about watching Nemo and I was thinking in my head that it was a good thing that he liked some movies cause it definitely helped in this case.

After about 30 minutes of trying this topical numming they brought in the doctor and decided it was time to do the stitches. They had to strap Logan down to the table so that he wouldn't mess up the stitches. After a few seconds, however, one of Logan's arms broke loose. The doctor was pretty shocked and said that doesn't happen very often. Logan was not very happy about being restricted obviously. I think it was good his arm broke loose cause I was able to hold on to it while they stitched up his wounds. His wounds were pretty dirty and they had to do quite a bit of cleaning to make sure they wouldn't get infected. This is a picture of him when we finally got home that day. My sister and her husband and my dad packed up the whole camp and then brought us all our stuff--they are such troopers.
He ended up getting 5 stitches total--four above his left eye and one in his hairline. We were told to keep them in for just 5 days and to then go get them out. They put him on Omnicef to make sure it wouldn't get infected.

It was amazing to watch how much his injury changed over these 5 days.
Day Two

Day Three-morning

Day Three--eveningDay Four
Day Five--stitches out!

Logan did so well getting his stitches out. He sat in his dad's arms the whole time while the doctor took them out one by one and put them on a popsicle stick for us to keep.

Amazing that in just five days your kid can look almost as good as new. He has a little scar still above his eye but we are hoping with time (and some Mederma) that it will continue to fade. Although this was still scary for us, we were very grateful that it wasn't any worse.

11 comments:

Lori said...

oh man. i'm sure your heart just sunk. how scary. i'm glad he's alright and you were able to get him the help he needed so quickly. aaah! what a memorable first camping trip!

Megan said...

The post below was so happy until the end. Seriously. Your family knows how to camp. Poor little Logan. I am glad that he is okay and that you weren't too far away from help. I can't believe how much better it looks after five days. That is insane. Hopefully he won't have another trip to the doctor for a long long time!

Seth and Kara Farnsworth said...

Oh no! Those pictures made my mom-heart hurt. What an ordeal, but also what a bounce back! I am sorry you had to end your trip like that. I'll bet that was one very stressful event for you, the mom. Glad everything is healing up beautifully.

Clyda and John said...

I had heard about Logan getting hurt, but that looks painful. Poor little guy. Always amazed how they handle these things better than the parents. Glad he is all better.

Jenny said...

Oh my goodness, poor logan!! i'm sure you were as upset as he was, that's so scary! looks like he loved camping other than "the accident"
i'm glad that he's healing well and i hope that you are too!! please feel free to let me know if you need any help. we'd be happy to have logan for a playdate if you need it.

Allie and Fam said...

Break my heart! It's amazing how in their time of pain, it's a million times worse for you seeing them go through it all. What a tough boy... by day 5 he looked awesome!

Carlee Hoopes said...

Holy cow, that looks horrible! I'm glad it is all better now, and I'm glad it happened on the last day so at least you were able to enjoy your camping trip up until that point!!!

Tyler and Sara said...

Oh how sad. What a trooper though. That is definitely the down side to parenting, at least for me. I don't like to watch my kid in any sort of pain, it is no fun. Your post below was so fun though. I love his "red" chair. I also think it is hilarious that he just plopped right down in the water and was like come on mom your turn. He looks so sweet hanging out watching nemo on your lap.

Chelsie said...

oh my heavens, what a way to end a camping trip! i'm so sorry. i'm glad logan was a trooper though through the stitches and what not and seems to be healing quickly.

Stacey said...

That's horrible! I'm so sorry. But I'm glad he's better now.

That was a great idea to document his healing process.

heather bing said...

Poor Logan! I'm so glad it's healing so fast though. Dayton split his eyebrow open and had to get it glued, and it looked awful for weeks, so 5 days is fast. But it's so sad when they get hurt, and it happens so often at my house!!! Glad he's doing better!