We rescued Cayman over 2 years ago from a back yard breeder. I decided I wanted a red and white border collie when I saw one in a show at Sea World. I thought they were pretty and was intrigued by all you can teach them. Of course, to start we took Cayman to basic puppy classes. We loved going to them and when they were all over I began to find myself wanting to continue to do something with him. We turned to try agility. One of Cayman's rescuers taught agility so I contacted her to help me get started.
According to the American Kennel club "Agility is a sport that appeals to young people and to senior citizens. It has great spectator appeal. Agility is designed to demonstrate a dog's willingness to work with its handler in a variety of situations. It is an athletic event that requires conditioning, concentration, training and teamwork. Dog and handlers negotiate an obstacle course racing against the clock." If you have ever watched animal planet it is the sport where the dogs run around all sorts of obstacles---jumps, poles, walks, etc. Ok so I may be the only one who watches animal planet but agility is one of the fastest growing dog sports in the United States.
To start agility, we started by teaching Cayman many basic things like to be aware of his hind legs. Then when he was two years old we started him on the obstacles. We have been working with a new trainer and at home to teach him the many skills he will need to hopefully compete someday.
Cayman is now starting to take his jumps at angles and do them in varying patterns. He is getting faster at his weave poles and more consistent at his contacts. He is also starting to rely less on me and take the many obstacles on command. This means I don't have to keep up with him which is a good thing. If you could see him run this course in full drive you would understand how hard it is to keep up.
Here are the two of us running through the course. Don't we look like we are having fun!
I am always amazed at how quickly Cayman learns this stuff. He really does think through different situations. For both being new to the sport we have come a long way. We owe a lot of thanks to our teachers who help us out each week. Cayman and I hope to keep getting better and hopefully enter a competition next year.





4 comments:
That's neat! For sure let me know when you enter a competition and I'll come cheer you on! I had no idea it was that popular!
That is pretty cool. You animals are so lucky to have you guys unlike some poor dogs that are never let out of their kennel's or given a chance to be loved and played with. I bet he likes the obstacles a lot. I think we need a video of the both of you doing it! haha :)
Yes, I have seen it on Animal Planet. It looks like lots of fun. I didn't know you and Cayman were doing that. Let us know when you enter a competition. We'd love to come!
Can he do those poles that they wind through. I swear I could watch dog do those for hours. It just seems like magic. I'm jealous you have a dog. My parents don't have Nacey anymore and we can't have one here. As soon as we can I want a great dane though. I sort of fell in love with them when I was working at a vet clinic. What do you think about them.
Post a Comment