Tuesday, February 17, 2009

RSV

Last Thursday Logan was sent home from daycare because he had a fever of 102. I had been noticing that since Sunday he wasn't himself but couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. Kept thinking it was just a tooth or earache. I had an appointment scheduled for Friday to get his ears checked out, but when he got sent home I decided to take him in that day to get him checked out.

The doctor found that Logan had a slight ear infection along with what he thought was RSV/Bronchilitis. He put him on some antibiotics to see if that would help clear up the ear infection. I was a little confused and frustrated with how this doctor explained the diagnosis to me so I took Logan back in today to see his doctor and was glad I did. He helped me explain what was going on and how to react to it. They make such a big deal out of RSV these days you can't just tell someone you think their child has that and then send them on their way. Or at least you can't to me! So frustrating!

So Logan's doctor checked him out and said his heavy breathing has cleared up remarkably which is good but he still shows other signs of the RSV--cough, runny nose, black eyes. Without doing a test they cannot guarantee that this is what Logan has but it is very prevalent right now and he seems to have several of the same symptoms. His doctor said it was good that he seems to be getting over it and fighting it off without having to be hospitalized which is always the worst case scenario. He said we should continue to keep him on the antibiotics and watch for any new signs or complications.

So until then we get to hibernate in our home and hope that Logan gets better quickly. We have been doing a lot of this....

Logan got a new Baby Einstein video for Valentine's day and just loves it. He got the Baby Noah one and is learning his animals around the world. I think he loves this one even more than the other ones he has had. We are keeping Logan home from daycare this whole week so as to not spread this lovely virus to any other young children.

So I know that it is common for kids to get this virus at least once but I guess I never really thought about our kid getting it. Call me naive. However, since he does go to daycare he is at an increased risk of exposure. The important part though is that he is fighting it off well and we hope he can continue to do so. I am glad that this wasn't more serious and that we were able to take him back in to make sure we understood what was going on. We can tell that he is feeling lots better than last week so keeping him home has been fun. We hope once we get Logan over this we will be able to figure out his milk issues and get him off the bottle.

10 comments:

Lori said...

ahh man. i hate rsv. i'm sorry! hope logan gets feeling better soon!

C and C Young said...

It's so hard to know what to do! I took m for a well baby check today and found out he has an ear infection.

Maria said...

I am so sorry to hear that Logan is sick! Let us know if we can help in anyway!!!

Jenny said...

Poor little guy... I'm glad that he's getting better. It is so sad when babies are sick :(
Gotta love those baby einsteins- they're helping me survive winter! How can anyone really entertain a one year old allll day otherwise?
Once all these yucky infections go away, we're so having a get together! I hope we don't have to wait til spring!

Megan said...

Man. It does seem to be going around a lot. I am glad that he is doing better though and that he didn't have to be checked into the hospital. Hopefully it clearn up quickly!

Allie and Fam said...

I'm so sorry! But hey, I know what it's like to be stuck inside! Let us know if you need anything.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for going back and getting clarification about what was going on; as a parent, you have the right to understand what is going on with your son. Hope he feels better soon!

Chelsie said...

ah i'm so sorry! my little nephew just got over rsv too! i hope he gets feelin better quick!

Ally and Chris Johns said...

oh sad.. Poor little cutie! I have always thought that RSV was a way big deal. So i am glad to hear he is doing so good!

MJ - Marv Jr said...

I'm glad Logan is doing well and isn't suffering with RSV.

From the picture I couldn't tell who liked Baby Einstein more, Ben or Logan?