Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tremendous Two!

This year we decided to have two different birthday parties for Logan--one with my family and one with Ben's. December is a hard time of year to fit these in so it seemed to work out better this way this year.

His parties began on December 5th with a party at our house with my family. We decided to make him an airplane cake since he loved the airplanes so much going to Hawaii.

I was a little disappointed the cake didn't turn out as cute as last year. I was going to pipe the whole cake but just ran out of time...it takes forever. Oh well, Logan didn't care.

Logan definitely was more in to the presents this year. He knew just what to do with them and would act all surprised each time he opened one. Ben and I gave him a Racing ramps garage to play with all his cars on which he has quite enjoyed. His favorite present was probably his Lightening McQueen pajamas from Aunt Roo and Uncle Jeff. He asks to wear them every night and even wants to wear them all day too. He also enjoyed his Lightening McQueen plate and bowl from his Grandma and Papa Jack. (Are we seeing a theme? I think we should have made him a Lightening McQueen cake.) However, the biggest reaction came when he found some M-n-m's in one of his bags. I wish I could have caught the expression on his face. He was very excited and we were thankful it was just a small bag.

Logan surprised us all when we sang Happy Birthday and he blew his candles out all by himself. He has since been quite interested in candles and blowing them out. I have to say he has quite the lungs on him!

We then had a party with Ben's family on the 13th. We, unfortunately left our camera at home for this party (one of our new year resolutions for 2010 is not to forget the camera). We made him another less involved cake with m-n-m's all over it. I think he liked it better than the airplane cake. He loved taking all the m-n-m's off of it and got quite concerned when others were taking them.

At his two year checkup Logan weighed 27 lbs 13 oz and was 34.5 inches long. He is in the 50th percentile for both of these and following the curves very nicely. He has actually come up a bit as he used to be down in the 5th percentile.

The weekend of Logan's first party we also decided to try to get him off his binky. We just poked a hole in it. When we gave it to him he would say 'broken'. He still took it the first night but the next night Ben said binkies were for babies and Logan said 'yeah' and gave it to Ben and never asked for it again. For a few days he talked about binkies being for babies but he never asked for it. We were both very surprised at how well he gave it up. Our biggest reason for making this change was that Logan was starting to get a rash on his face from it. Since we have taken it away this has cleared up quite a bit and he sleep binky free!More things about Logan at the age of two....

  • he is obsessed with Snoopy and asks to watch one of the movies daily. He also knows many of the other characters by name (Linus, Lucy, Woodstock, Schroeder, etc.)
  • one of his favorite things to say is "What doing?"
  • he loves to look at pictures. This is one of the only things that he will sit still for.
  • one of his favorite snacks has become fruit snacks. He asks for them multiple times a day and we have had to set limits for him or I think he would eat them all.
  • he has learned what a 'cute' voice is and to ask for things like chocolate and suckers in that voice.
  • he loves Lightening McQueen and can tell you what he says...."Ker Chow!" The funny thing is he only has seen this movie once but loved it that much.
  • he knows his shapes and colors (most of the time).
  • he can count to three if that means counting "two" three times. :)
  • he is starting to learn his letters.
  • he calls himself "Nenen." He can tell you the names of many other people but for some reason cannot say Logan. He seems to think that his name is "Nenen."
  • he loves to put his stuffed animals to bed and feed them as well. He will often ask them "want some?"
  • he often wants to sleep with a book along with his doggie.
  • some of his favorite foods are spaghetti, macaroni and cheese, chicken nuggets and mandarin oranges.
  • he loves to run and tackle people.
  • he loves to dance to good music.
  • he is starting to sing songs like "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and "The Itsy Bisty Spider."
  • he is starting to put more and more words together into sentences like "want daddy to change" meaning he wanted his daddy to change his diaper.

4 comments:

Megan said...

I hear ya on crazy December birthdays! But I am glad you were able to find a time with both families. And hey, two birthday parties? What kid wouldn't love that?! I think your plane cake turned out cute. Logan and Anna can be m&m friends - those are her absolute favorite. He is so cute and getting so big. I am glad the binky transition went easily.

Clyda and John said...

Loved the cake. Way cute. And I love that he loves McQueen. My boys are obsessed with him. At least they all have something in common. And way to go with the binkie transition. I find it funny how as parents we stress and worry over how our kids will handle it and they always do so much better than we expected. Way to go Logan. Give him hugs from his Aunt mooo! Too cute!

Chelsie said...

i love that he wants daddy to change him and that he says kerchow! so cute!! i love it

Cam said...

That cake is adorable! Sounds like you had some fun celebrations. About the gym class I went to...its actually called The Little Gym. They do classes for all age groups and it is really a cute place. The only locations I know of are Sandy and Draper. You can do a trial class for free.