Last week was my first week back at work from maternity leave. I had so many emotions running through my mind as I went back to work. I wasn't sure how I would feel leaving Logan for so long, who I would leave him with, how I would feel at work or how I was going to get somewhere before noon.
My first day back at work was a bit emotional. I was ok to be at work for the first few hours but then soon began to wish I was at home with Logan. Coming back to work after being gone for six weeks can be a bit overwhelming. As the day progressed I began to feel more behind and the tasks of work piling up on me. However, I survived the day without crying and came home to a happy baby who acted as if I never left.
I have decided to try to work 3 days a week and about 25 hours. Although I didn't quite make 25 hours my first week back, I did successfully make it somewhere before noon. I won't lie, it has been hard adjusting to being a part time employee. When you are not in the office all day you somehow start to feel left out on many things that are happening. I have worked full time for so long now that I somehow feel like I am giving up on my career.
With all that said I feel like I have come to a good balance between a career and being a mom and I am very grateful for my job and my ability to do both. I have enjoyed getting out of the house a few days of the week but being able to cuddle and play with my boy the other days. I hope the future weeks go as well as the first week did.
Looking back on the week I feel very lucky to have such a wonderful family and friends that have been so willing to watch Logan to make my transition back to work easier. I am so grateful for all they did to help me out. It was so much easier leaving Logan in hands I fully trustred. I also have a wonderful work that has been very flexbile and willing to work with me.
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
I totally know how you feel about giving up on your career. I went through those same feelings. I know it's hard to cut back and not play the same role at work that you once did, but I think it's important to be with Logan too. I don't think you will ever regret your time with him. You are very fortunate that your job is willing to work with you to allow you to cut back enough to spend time with Logan as well.
Congrats on a good week back! That is so great that your job is helping you balance you life and that you don't have to choose one over the other--how awesome!
what a bitter sweet thing. Having to leave Logan, but getting out of the house, having a break, and a good place to work. I'm glad that everything has gone so well. That is nice that you have family and friends to watch Logan because I have to agree that it is a lot easier to leave them when it is with someone you know will take the best care of him.
You don't know me, but I am Ben's much older cousin. I found your website through other family member websites. As a working mom, I feel for you. My 2nd baby is just a few days younger than your baby and I went back to work around the same time. It's so hard! Your baby is adorable and good luck with it all!
Post a Comment